Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Review: Unbreakable by: Rebecca Shea

Unbreakable
By Rebecca Shea


Synopsis: *This book contains mature subject matter and is not intended for those under 17 years of age.*

Jessica Harper is the epitome of perfection. She’s a good daughter, makes excellent grades, and always strays on the safe side of life. The last thing she thought would ever happen was falling in love with her best friend’s brother. But sometimes fate just has a way of bringing two people together.

Wide receiver for the University of Arizona, Gabe Garcia, seems to have it all. When his feelings for Jessica come to surface, Gabe will give up everything to be with her. 

But what happens when a tragedy abruptly changes the course of your life? For Jessica and Gabe, everything they thought they knew about each other will be questioned. Sometimes, there are scars in life that are cut too deep to completely heal. 

Will their love prove to be unbreakable, or will it shatter and prove fate is just another lie?


***

Review:  The dedication page of Unbreakable offer the most perfect perfect quote from M. Leighton.


"Every broken person's worst fear - that no one will be able to love us in spite of our scars."

     This sentiment describes Jess's journey perfectly.

     Jess is a young woman on the cusp of adulthood.  When the author first introduces us to her, she is days from her High School graduation.  Growing up in a small California town she was raised mostly by her neighbors, the Garcia's, while her father buried himself in work, trying to cope with the loss of her mother.

     For fourteen years she has been a fixture in the Garcia household.  Ava is more than her best friend, she is her sister.  "Mom" and "Dad" are more like parents to Jess than her own father.  Luke is like the older brother she never had.  Then there is Gabe.  She has loved Gabe for as long as she can remember, but she has suppressed those feelings.  Forcing them down.  It is wrong to feel for him like that and it is even worse that he probably doesn't share the same feelings for her.

     Gabe has spent years with Jess as part of the family.  He has loved her since he was nine years old, but being a few years older than her he never acted on those feeling.  It is not until one fateful evening when they kiss at a college party.  Gabe feels the world shift beneath his feet and suddenly the things he once thought were important, are no more.  Coming home from college for the summer with a new plan for his future he decides it is time to confess his feelings.  Either Jess will fall into his arms or out of his life.  He is nervous as hell, but it is a chance he has to take.

"I will love you everyday for the rest of my life."

     The moment Gabe confesses his feelings for Jess the author had me falling in love with him too.  The thought that they were meant to be, like to puzzle pieces finally coming together, warmed my heart.  Unfortunately that love is tested much too soon.  Jess's trust and security are robbed from her.  Within a blink of an eye her and Gabe's lives are forever changed.

"We will get through this, together.  You and I.  Nothing will break us, ever.  Not this.  Do you hear me, Jess?  Nothing.  We're unbreakable."

     The helplessness that consumes the young couple was hard to take.  One moment I thought the climatic struggle would be one thing and then WHAM! something so much worse happens.  Watching Gabe try to keep Jess with in his grasp was heartbreaking.

"I am numb to the world that is moving around me."

     Through the sorrow, Jess recognizes that she needs to take a step back and heal.  This is not an easy decision,  but it is necessary.  Traveling clear across the country she heads to the Carolina coast.  I have said it before, but I will say it again, I love the Carolina coast.  For me it is the most beautiful backdrop a novel can ask for.  I was grinning from ear to ear when I read her destination.  The author gets extra points from me for this. :)  

     A new city brings new people into her life.  Jess plasters on a mask of normalcy and tries to blend in.  It is working for the most part, until she meets a bad-boy, tattooed, cop names Landon.  I have to admit when Landon was first introduced I thought he was creepy and sleazy.  I kept waiting for him to be an additional protagonist.  Waiting for him to cause even more damage to Jess's fragile self esteem.  

     I was pleasantly surprised, however.  Bravo to Ms. Shea.  Landon was beautifully written and an excellent addition to the story.  When all was said and done, I may have loved his character more than Gabe's.  

     Unbreakable was beautiful and well written.  The plot was well developed.  The characters grew and evolved as the the story played out, drawing me in and creating an emotional connection.  I felt each emotion along with the characters.

     I would strongly recommend this book.  I am very glad I did and I cannot wait to read Landon's story!

Happy reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment