Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Review: Fear of Falling By: S.L. Jennings

Fear of Falling
By: S.L. Jennings

Synopsis***Inspired by true events***
I can't remember the last time I felt completely safe. Security seemed more like a luxury to me, reserved for those who were fortunate enough to have picture perfect childhoods. For those who didn't bear the ugly scars that keep me bound in constant, debilitating fear. I've run from that fear my entire life. But when I met him, for once, I couldn't run anymore.

He scared the hell out of me in a way that excited every fiber of my being. It wasn't the tattoos or the piercings. It wasn't the warmth that seemed to radiate from his frame and blanket me whenever he was near. It was just...him. The scary beautiful man that threatened to alter 23 years of routine and rituals, and make me face my crippling fear.

My name is Kami and I am constantly afraid. And the thing that scares me the most is the very thing I want.

"Don't worry," he smiled, pulling me into the hard warmth of his chest. "I've got you. I'll always catch you when you fall."

And just like that, Blaine had staked his claim on the untouched part of me that no living soul had ever moved. He had captured every fear, every reservation, and crushed them in the palm of his inked hand.




Author Disclaimer: Abuse is real- verbal, emotional, physical and sexual. It takes place all around us; it doesn't discriminate against race or gender, wealth or poverty. It affects us all- those of us who've had to live through it, or watch it happen, even those of us who've only heard about it. We are all affected. We are all forever changed.

This is not a story for the faint of heart; this is the story of one woman's very real struggle through a world against her, the people who hurt her, her real life demons and the people who showed her that every gray sky, no matter how dark, has a sun waiting to break through.
*This is a stand alone novel*

***
Review:  Wow, simply wow.  Fear of Falling had me choking back the tears one moment and whispering words of encouragement the next.  I felt the agony of Kami's struggle and journey to heal and let love in.

"Funny thing about life is that it never turns out the way you want it to.  It's never fair.  It's harsh and brutal."

     Kami is a young woman who experienced and witnessed the most horrific abuse at a very young age, all at the hands of her father.  The physical, emotional and verbal abuse had left her scarred.  However, her scars did not mare her appearance.  No, they are much worse.  Her soul has been battered and bruised leaving thick calloused scars around her heart.  Kami is a walking, talking shell of a person making it through each day wearing a mask of normalcy even though underneath she is choking on unimaginable fear.  253 fears to be exact.  Fears locked away in the stars allowing her to keep her panic at bay.
     Kami is OK with the masquerade that is her life.  That is until she met a scary-beautiful man named Blaine.  Some how Blaine can see beneath the mask.

"He had eyes of a man that had seen things.  Eyes that were soulful and wise, yet vibrant and sultry.  Eyes that made me want to run away, yet urged me to stay."

     From the moment the author introduced Blaine I was swooning.  I never wanted to partake in tequila shots so badly in my life.  From his just sexed hair and warm brown eyes to his intricate, colorful tattoos and piercings he had me at hello.  Blaine's life hasn't been all sunshine and roses either, but the moment he meets Kami he can't seem to stop thinking about her.  Kami also feels an instant connection.  She knew instantly he would change her life forever, even if she wasn't able to admit it at the time

"Something that would not only rock your world right off its axis but flip it upside down and shake the shit out of it."

     The author did an amazing job presenting Kami's struggles and fears.  My heart broke and bled for everything her father stole from her, as my hatred for him grew.  However, the one thing that monster could not take was her strength and though she had trouble tapping into it at times, it was always just below the surface.

"... just remember, the storm doesn't last forever.  It can scare you; it can shake you to your core.  But it never lasts.  The rain subsides, the thunder dies, and the winds calm to a soft whisper."
     
     I would recommend this book to anyone.  It has earned a spot on my top shelf and the characters will remain with me.

Happy reading!!

1 comment: